Sketching the chosen painting makes me familiar with the piece and experience first-hand the artist’s style and Van Gogh’s thoughts. Wanting to mimic the inconsistent line in his sketches, I used a turkey feather for sketching. Like many artists back in the day, Vincent must have used a burnt stick or roughly carved graphite; after all, there were no pencil sharpeners!
Thursday, January 30, 2014
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
My initial inspiration came from spending time looking at a number of books with several of Vincent Van Gogh’s works. Then I chose one painting to create as a painted wholecloth quilt. Even though some of the same paintings appear in several books, the color in different publications and page size sometime give a different perspective on the work.
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
I am contemplating using carved bone beads as a finishing touch....mmmmm, not sure.....
I think I like the figures better without the beads, this embellishment is too prevalent and takes away the focus on the figures. Plus it looks like the people have stick legs!
Using the backing of the quilt, I rolled it to the front and bar tacked it to create the binding. The darker fabric that I chose added a rich dimension of textile and framed the piece. I have chosen palm nuts (saltless!) to sew into the tucks of the binding. The finishing touch will be adding African beads carved from bones and engraved.
Monday, January 27, 2014
Using my Gammill longarm, I quilted the brush strokes on the road to give the path movement. I stitched a primitive looking crisscross pattern on the borders to mimic African handwork. A simple back-and-forth pattern on the background created a ripple effect in the fabric that complemented the angle of the road.
Sunday, January 26, 2014
When I draped the border fabrics around the piece on the design wall, I noticed the borders needed to be integrated into the composition. Prairie points were the answer I was looking for. I stitched them onto the background fabric and then added the borders. I'm finally ready to quilt!
Saturday, January 25, 2014
Brush strokes are ready to begin! Using a dry brush technique, I brushed in the road, unifying the composition. I added shadows under the figures' feet to add depth and give the figures more form. It’s amazing how much movement this added to the piece.
Friday, January 24, 2014
Glue Day! I spray-basted the batik panel, the two inch squares, and the radial design to the background fabric and appliquéd them. I used Beacon fabric glue to adhere the canvas pieces in place and appliquéd them.
Thursday, January 23, 2014
The more I looked at the composition, the figures appeared to be walking down a road. I wanted to create a great depth of feeling of the figures walking across a desert to the mountains in the batik panel. To capture this, I envisioned a path that I plan to paint into the piece later.
I noticed two more things that needed to happen in the composition. There was a gap in the lower right hand corner and, secondly, the focal batik panel needed to be integrated into the background fabric because I didn't want it to look like a square was plopped onto the piece.
To fill the gap in the composition, I went to my accent fabrics that I had previously draped on the design wall and chose an African radial design. I cut it out and pinned it in the gap. It worked!
Next I trimmed off two inch strips from the batik panel and cut them into two inch blocks. When I placed the small blocks around the panel on the background fabric, they tied the panel colors to the background fabric.
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
I couldn't wait to cut up the canvas but it was scary at the same time! Once a canvas is cut, there's no turning back... I divided the images of people into an odd number of canvas units. Using "Perfect Scissors", I cut the canvas into seven units and placed them in the composition on the design wall. I need to look at this for a few days....
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
I chose a background fabric to extend the color and feeling of the batik panel. I put it on the design wall and positioned the batik panel for compositional success. Then I draped a potential border fabric next to the arrangement. I draped all the accent fabrics on the perimeter of the arrangement. Before I make any more design decisions, I need to incorporate the painted Kenyan canvas.
Monday, January 20, 2014
I draped everything onto my design wall. I placed the batik panel in the center and the painted canvas below it. I placed all the fabric around the two inspirational pieces. When I viewed the collection on the wall, I immediately saw some fabric that did not belong in the quilt. I removed it from the design wall, although I kept it close by in case it needs to be reintroduced. I'm finally on my way to creating a working composition.